The Indian Income tax Act prescribes different tax slabs for Senior citizens, Women & Individuals including AOP (Association of Person), BOI (Body of Individuals) & HUF (Hindu Undivided Family).
To calculate the total income tax liability, one needs to follow the below mentioned process:
* Calculate your gross total income. This includes gross income from the five sources of income – Income from Salary, Business/ Profession, Capital Gains, House Property & Income from other sources.
* Calculate the net deductions for example donations, investments and savings such as provident fund subscriptions, Life Insurance Premiums etc.
* The net taxable income is gross total income less net deductions.
* Then the appropriate income tax rate is applied to calculate the total tax liability.
* Education Cess of 3% is applied on the tax payable to arrive at the total tax payable. Relief under various sections would be applied on this total tax.