MakeMyTrip Limited is an Indian online travel agency founded in the year 2000 by Deep Kalra. Created to empower the Indian traveler with instant booking and comprehensive choices, the company began its journey in the US-India travel market. After consolidating its position in the market as a brand recognized for its reliability and transparency, MakeMyTrip followed its success in the US by launching its India operations in 2005. One out of every twelve domestic flights from India was booked through it in 2009. MakeMyTrip is today the largest travel company in India. It is the largest e-commerce business in the country. The Company also listed its shares on NASDAQ in August 2010.
The Company has offices in 20 cities across India and 2 international offices in New York and San Francisco, in addition to several franchise locations. It is the undisputed online leader, with its share of the travel market extending to more than 50% of all online sales, a fact evinced by the trust placed in it by millions of happy customers.
Acquisitions by MakeMyTrip
- In 2010, MakeMyTrip acquired ticketvala.com, an online bus ticketing platform provider started in 2006.
- In July 2011, it incorporated Luxury Tours (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd.
- In August 2011, it acquired 19.9% of Le Travenues Technology Private Limited.
- On May 9, 2011, it acquired approximately 79% of Luxury Tours & Travel Pte Ltd.
- In March 2010, it acquired certain assets of Travis Internet Private Limited.
Read more about Top Online Travel Agencies, Portals, Sites in India.
Services and Products from MakeMyTrip
The different travel services and products offered by MakeMyTrip.com are:
- International and domestic airline tickets
- Indian Railways tickets
- Domestic bus tickets
- International and domestic hotel reservations
- Car rentals
- International and domestic holiday packages
- MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferencing, Exhibitions)
- Visa services
- B2B services and many more.
1. Air Tickets
The Company’s air tickets business is primarily targeted at domestic travel within India and international travel originating in India and inbound travel to India from the United States and other countries. It provides its customers with a selection of airline tickets for all major domestic full-service and low-cost airlines operating in India, including Air India, Air India Express, Go Air, Indigo Airlines, Jet Airways, Kingfisher Airlines and SpiceJet; and all major international flights that originate from cities in India, including Air India, British Airways, Emirates, Jet Airways, Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways and Virgin Atlantic.
2. Hotels and Packages
Through the Company’s websites, customers can search, compare and make reservations at approximately 4,700 hotels in India and a selection of hotels outside India. It procures room inventory from its hotel suppliers through three methods:
- Direct connects,
- Direct allocation, and
- On request
As of June 30, 2011, approximately 1.9% of its hotel suppliers were directly-connected to the booking system thus enabling reservations to be made and confirmed on a real time basis.
The Company also offers pre-packaged vacations designed by its in-house product specialists, under arrangements with various travel suppliers and its GDS service provider to cater to both individual and group travelers. Its packages also include various travel services, such as
- Travel insurance
- Visa processing
- Airport transfer and
It offers a range of packages, including escorted tours, honeymoon specials and weekend breakaways, as well as vacation themes, such as adventure, family, pilgrimage, romantic, etc.
The Company’s MICE group offers services to organizations, as well as other groups, including students or families who wish to plan meetings, conferences or other events or organize group trips.
3. Other Services and Products
The Company offers railway tickets through passenger reservation system online and enables the customers to reserve and purchase Indian Railways tickets on a real time basis through its Indian Website. Its customized interface allows a customer to compare travel options across various trains, classes, dates and prices.
The Company’s bus tickets inventory is obtained through four channels:
- Real time inventory from operators who are directly-connected to its booking system
- Inventory from aggregators who are directly-connected to its booking system
- Inventory from operators who manage their inventory on an extranet supported by the Company, and
- Inventory obtained by agreement with operators where a certain number of tickets are pre-allocated or sold to it on request.
4. Ancillary Services and Products
The Company provides its customers with the option to purchase travel insurance from Apollo Munich Health Insurance Company Limited. The Company facilitates access to this travel insurance through its Indian Website, as well as through its call centers and travel stores.
Source: Make My Trip Annual Report 2011 & Bloomberg
New Year Greetings from GWI!!Google+