Solar Array Definition
A solar array can be defined as solar panels arranged in a group to capture maximum amount of sun light to convert it into usable electricity. The idea of Solar Array came into being when it was conceived that the power produced by a solar panels singly was not sufficient for domestic or commercial purpose. Many such solar modules are linked together to form a Solar Array. Solar panels can be arranged differently to form different patterns to suit ones purpose. Depending upon what the need is, different structures can be build. Generally there are two traditional styles of solar energy panels used in residential and industrial areas -photovoltaic and photothermal energy. Most solar arrays to date have been a mixture of these two. Because it is relatively low-tech, solar arrays are a very cost effective approach for people who believe in DIY technology.
How Solar Array Works
There are many ways to build or use a solar array, either commercially or buying the parts or doing it yourself. Most of the arrays use an inverter to convert the DC power produced by the modules into alternating current to produce power. The panels in a solar array are usually first connected in series to obtain the desired voltage; the individual strings are then connected in parallel to allow the system to produce more current.
Solar Array Design
The Design of a Solar Array is very important as a bad design can lead to huge losses over the lifetime of the solar array.Note even a partial shading of a solar panel in the solar array can degrade the performance of all the solar panels in the solar array leading to huge shortfall in the desired electricity requirements.There are numerous cases of bad design which must be avoided.Choosing the right EPC or Solar Installer is of utmost importance and the Design of the Solar Array must be done with utmost care.Also in Designing a Solar Array ,the right technology must be chosen for example in a space constrained environment ,solar panels of higher efficiency must be used even if they cost more per watt.Here are some important points while designing a Solar Array.
- Position – The solar array must be positioned in such a way that will capture maximum direct sunlight.
- Solar Tracker – Solar trackers can become very useful tools for a longer duration during the day time, to increase the efficiency of solar arrays.
- Consumer Needs – Every solar array needs to comply with the needs of its consumers.
- Shade – Any shade or light obstructions will decrease the solar arrays’ effectiveness.
- Technology – Possible solar module combination may include one or many of photovoltaic, photothermal, photosynthetic, holographic photovoltaics or PV-TV.
Solar Array Uses
- Photosynthetic/ PV-TV arrays can be used as a covering over buildings These are quiet powerful and help in cutting electricity bills to a great extent.
- Some used as two-way mirrors can be doubly used as low light billboards or theater screens.
Solar Panel Array Costs
A solar panel is generally 250 watts. The cost of 1 watt is these days is around $1.5/watt for small sized solar array used in residential and small commercial installations. Hence a solar panel costs around $350-400/watt. Now one solar array contains about 6-20 solar panels, which means the cost of a solar array should be somewhere between 2000-8000$Dollars Besides other factors that govern the price of a Solar Panel is its technology,power,brand and quality. The price of Thin Film Panels are lesser compared to crystalline silicon panels.Higher Power Panels have a higher price since they generate more electricity. Chinese solar panels cost less than the good brands stuff.
Read more about
b) Solar Panels