Biomass Energy accounted for most of Human Energy Consumption before the 20th century before fossil fuels took over.Biomass Energy still accounts for 1/3rd of Energy requirements in a lot of countries and is the primary energy source for heating and cooking in rural communities.Biomass Electricity accounts for around 1% of the world’s electricity capacity of around 5000 GW.With advancement in Biomass Technology a number of Large Scale Biomass Energy Plants are being built in Europe.Even in developing countries like India,the government is strongly supportive of biomass energy and is giving various subsidies to support this alternative energy.Biomass Energy can play an essential role in off grid markets where there is a decent availability of feedstock.Each year millions of tons of crop residue and animal waste is converted into carbon emissions without being used up.Biomass Energy can convert this feedstock into useful electricity without adding carbon to the atmosphere.Waste to Energy is the most unexploited forms of energy and there exists enormous potential here also.Here is a list of the Biomass Energy and Wood Pellet Companies in the World.Note most of the companies are small in nature compared to the wind and solar companies.Most of the biomass electricity companies still have their biomass plants in the drawing or construction stage.Wood Pellet Companies are mostly private companies and not traded on the Stock Exchange.
- Helius Energy - Helius Energy is an AIM listed company that develops and sell biomass projects.The company is currently developing the 100 MW project in Port of Bristol at Avonmouth.Also a 100MW biomass fuelled electricity pant in Port of Southampton
- MGT Power – MGT Power is an independent British company currently developing two 300MW biomass power generation projects in the North East of England: the Tyne Renewable Energy Plant, and the Tees Renewable Energy Plant, which has received planning consent
- Prenergy Power - The company is building the world’s biggest biomass power plant in Wales,England with 350 MW capacity which will use imported wood chips as feedstock.The London firm which is owned by a PE firm in on the sale block
- Forth Energy - Forth Energy is developing Four Big Biomass Power Plants at the ports of Dundee, Grangemouth, Rosyth and Leith. The projects represent a £1.7bn investment in renewable energy and would have a total energy capacity of up to 500MW.The Leith Project is in the advanced stages of implementation.
- Laidlaw Energy Group - The company is a small US based Independent Power Producer that is listed as LLEG.The company is building a 70 MW plant in Berlin,New Hampshire.The company is also in the process of acquiring a 14 MW Biomass Plant from Renegy in California.
Wood Pellet Companies
The list of major biomass companies/wood pellet producers is quite small and they hardly make an investment class.Investing in Biomass Energy is quite impossible for public investors.Most of these companies are still in the startup phase and pose a lot of risk.Investing in biomass plants or large utilities changes the investment profile.
Greenworldinvestor Articles Related to This one
- Ten Advantages of Biomass Energy – Oldest Alternative Energy Form gets back in vogue
- List of Major Biomass Power Plants in the World – Scale Increasing
- Indian Biomass Energy reaches 1 GW in 2010 – List of Biomass Energy Companies (Rice,Sugar,Green Utilities) growing with 10 Times Growth in next 10 Years