India is set to see a massive infrastructure capex cycle over the next decade as the existing infrastructure fails to support India’s massive population.$500 Billion is expected to be spent in India’s next 5 year plan with expenditure concentrated on roads,railways,ports,water,power,transportation etc.Capital Goods,Construction and Real Estate Companies will benefit hugely from this capex cycle.A Number of Companies have been raising capital from the Indian Stock Markets as India requires massive amounts of capital to fund its ambitious growth plans. Here is the list of top construction companies in India on the basis of their tie-ups with their international counterparts, technological advancements, generating money from the market to trigger their expansion plans and for establishing an entire township in the wastelands and making it the hottest commercial destination.Note Infrastructure companies in recent days have taken a massive beating falling to their 2008 Lehman lows.This is due the the numerous scams hitting the country,delays due to land acquisition,high interest rates and slow execution.However the long term potential of these construction/EPC companies in India remains excellent due to the massive investments.
Major Construction/EPC Companies in India
- Nagarjuna Construction Company: The Company which is based in Andhra Pradesh has a decent track record and has managed to perform better than its peers in the last couple of years.It has a presence in almost all construction categories like water , irrigation, transportation, oil and gas, electrical, metals, real estate and power. It has annual revenues of around $1.7 billion .
- Punj Lloyd One of the most versatile companies in India,it has faced the rockiest times running into losses.The company has major international operations as well and operates in Africa and Asia.It also has big contracts in Libya which is facing massive turmoil
- JP Associates: diversified business model and increasing market share in the cement business.The company is a real estate,power,construction conglomerate and is the only listed on the Nifty.The company’s listed subsidiary Jaypee Infratech is building a massive highway cum real estate development passing near the capital of India Noida.
- Gammon India: An ISO 9001 certified firm ,Gammon India has pan-India reach and is involved in construction of some of the major bridges,roads and other construction projects in the country.
- Hindustan Construction Company (HCC) The Company has done large scale infrastructure construction projects .Present in sectors like Pipelines, Power, Transportation, Irrigation and Water. HCC like Punj Lloyd has major international operations as well.The company is facing huge pressure due to the environmental delay it is facing at its Lavasa township near Pune.
- Lanco Group- This Andhra Pradesh based company has become one of the biggest private utilities in the country and is expanding rapidly in all sectors.The company also has a major construction business though its focus has shifted more towards power these days
- Larsen & Tuobro (L&T) L&T which is one of the largest companies in India with diverse interest across sectors like construction,real estate,technology,capital goods equipment etc. is one of the highest quality companies as well.The company has made a plan to spin off its divisions into separate listed companies as its size has become too unwieldy.One of the best quality construction companies in the country,it possesses skills which other companies don’t.The company also has high corporate governance standards and is professionally managed.L&T is without doubt the top construction stock in India.
- Shapoorji Pallonji is a private company with the promoter of the company holding the largest stake in the Tata Group.The Company has executed some very prestigious projecst like World Trade Centre, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre and Taj Intercontinental, Mumbai
- Tata Projects A Tata Group Company is one of the biggest EPC players in the country.The company has shown sharp growth in the last few years delivering projects for the massive Tata Group companies.The company has presence Oil,Power,Steel,Distribution etc
- IVRCL Infrastructure is one of the biggest and most well known infrastructure companies.The company has diversified capabilities in/n water, transportation, building & industrial structures and power sector.The company has performed BOT/BOOT/DBOOT projects
India’s construction companies are facing tough times because they still operate in a sort of unorganized sector.Though not as bad as the real estate sector,infrastructure industry is still considered somewhat of a shady one as the government is heavily involved.This implies that a lot of bribes have to be given in order to move projects forward.
Other Related Links on Indian Infrastructure by GreenworldInvestor
- India’s Darling Infrastructure Stocks which could do no wrong turn Lepers Overnight (INXX)
- List of Top Real Estate Companies in India;A Sector Plagued by Scams and Scandals
- RPP Infra Projects Review and Analysis – Expensively Priced,Small Construction Junk IPO
- Infra BeES ETF Review and Analysis- Good though not Great Way to Invest in India’s Infrastructure Growth
- Analysis of India Infrastructure ETF (INXX) shows its Expensive with Worse Performance than Broader Market
- Engineers India FPO Review – Analysis shows it to be a good safe play leveraging India’s infrastructure growth
- TecPro Systems IPO Analysis – Construction Play on India’s Power Sector Growth at Reasonable Price
- Ashoka Buildcon IPO Review – Fast Growth Leveraged to Indian Infrastructure Story but Management and Valuation Questionable
- Ramky Infrastructure Analysis – Good Sector and Company but Valuation leaves Little for Investors