Green Investing in India makes a great theme but investing in specific CleanTech companies is a tough task.Some of the biggest Renewable Energy Companies have led to serious losses eg. Suzlon or Moser Baer.However Renewable Energy in India has a great future and a rising tide will lift all boats.Note the list of solar power companies is growing by the day while there a number of wind energy companies in India as well.Then their are green utilities like Greenko,Orient Green Power that are building substantial alternative energy capacities as well.While writing about all the companies is big and probably not a very useful endeavor,here is a list o the Top 10 Alternative Energy/Clean Technology Companies in India.It is a subjective list and should be regarded as such.
1) Suzlon Energy – Suzlon Energy is the biggest Wind Energy Company by far with 4-5 Gigawatts of WTG Capacity per year.Its subsidiaries Hansen Transmission and RePower are also big players in the Wind Energy in Europe.The Company has seen its revenues and profits take a huge hit in recent times but has been recoverin
2) Moser Baer – This is primarily a Solar Panel Production Company which has recently made a big bet to get into the Power Production Space as well.Moser Baer Projects Private in which the Blackstone Group made a $300 million bet has plans of a 20:80 mix of Green and Dirty Power.
3) Tata Power / Tata BP Solar - The biggest private utility in India has big plans for Clean Energy as well.Its subsidiary Tata BP Solar is one of the biggest producers of solar panels and cells in the country.The company has huge plans in wind,solar and geothermal energy.It has also invested in a geothermal energy project in Indonesia..
4) Orient Green Power - This Chennai based company is the largest Green Utility in India with more than 200 MW of Renewable Energy Capacity mostly in Wind and Biomass.The company came out with one of the biggest IPOs in India in 2010.
5) Greenko - This is one of the biggest Green Utilties in India with around 200 MW of Electricity Capacity predominantly in small hydro and biomass plants.It is listed London’s AIM Exchange and has a top notch managment team.Its recent performance has been quite good and it is expanding rapidly.
6) NTPC – The biggest utility in India will obviously be a big renewable energy generator in the future as well.While currently it does not have much of renewable energy capacity,it has lined up massive investments in hydro and solar power.Its trading arm NVVN is the nodal agency for dispersing funds for solar plants under JNNSM.
7) Kenersys - The company is part of the Baba Kalyani Group which is a major forgings manufacturer in India.It was bought over in 2007,when the Kalyani Group and PE firm First Reserve bought over the German company RSB Consult.The Company mainly makes 2 and 2.5 MW turbines and has production facilities both in India and Germany.It has wind design capabilities between 1-3.6 MW and with a powerful parent, it could become a success in the future.Amongst the newer wind energy companies like Lietnar,RRB Energy,Regen and WinWind,it looks like the one with most potential.Note you can can an indirect exposure by investing in Bharat Forgings.
There are a number of other Green Companies like Lanco,Reliance Power that have the capacity to become big players once their solar plants are complete.Besides this foreign companies with a major presence in India are Siemens,Vestas,Gamesa,Enercon,Hong Kong Light and Power.Getting exposure to these companies requires investing in the home markets of their parents.