For a while major PC makers having been introducing smartphones,while mobile makers also introducing mobile PC variants
- Dell and Acer have started a line of smartphones.
- Now by buying HP the biggest of the PC maker has entered the smartphone segment as well.
- Nokia introduced a tablet PC some time ago
- Apple already had a line of Mac PCs and laptops.By introducing a tablet iPad they are covering the “in between migration” segment as well
- With their huge cash warchests and penchant to dabble in almost every technology, Google and Microsoft have also introduced smartphones.
With a lot of the smartphones looking like mini laptops and a lot of the laptops like netbooks increasingly looking like enlarged smartphones the lines between mobile phones and laptops increasingly look blurred.I think with the hardware of the devices getting more and more of a commodity the real battle will be fought on providing the applications and services running on the hardware . Only a few companies will be able to make money from hardware or the OS in the future.Fee/Subscription based cloud services will be the model which has a high chance of winning in the future.Google+